I started this blog to record my experiments/adventures in the land of urban agriculture. It is growing into a garden consutation business. I will be happy to advise, plan, install and maintain (or any combination thereof) a garden for you. Contact me for more information at lknzfarm@gmail.com or 678-427-3101, or message me at Elkins Farm and Garden on FB.

Monday, February 20, 2012

New Compost Bins

Making hey while the sun shines. Cut up the picket fencing, loaded it on the wagon, and hauled it to Compost Corner. Got down there and went to work turning one bin into several.
When I started I wasn't sure how many I'd make. I want to increase my production, but wasn't sure how I was going to go about it. I cut four pieces of fencing down to four foot lengths (the side of my current pallet bin) and started to replace what I had.
Not smart.
First, I realized two things at once. Reuse what I already had and I didn't have to cut all the fencing down. I made a T out of three of the pallets and stuck an unreduced piece of fencing on the front (house side) of the bins. I stuck two four foot lengths of fencing on the ends. Voila, I had two bins instead of one.
Then I tacked up three more pieces of fencing for a third bin. Now I have room to grow and I've got enough pieces to build on one more. Two if I get crazy industrious.
Well, the work isn't going to get it self done. Any who my tea is about ready to pour up.

No comments:

Post a Comment