I started this blog to record my experiments/adventures in the land of urban agriculture. It is growing into a garden consutation business. I will be happy to advise, plan, install and maintain (or any combination thereof) a garden for you. Contact me for more information at lknzfarm@gmail.com or 678-427-3101, or message me at Elkins Farm and Garden on FB.

Saturday, October 6, 2012

"Mr. Elkins of the City, an eminent cheesemonger."

Not often I get to quote my favorite author in such a personal way. Well, any how, I just realized I've been making a Lebanese cheese for years and didn't know it.

I like making yogurt and have done so for several years. At least in three different houses. I also like draining all the whey out and have been pleased to call it yogurt cheese, not knowing any better.

Well, I started to read up on making cheese after Kristi got the urge to make butter. I was looking at butter videos on YouTube and found one about cheese making for beginners and wound up at a site devoted to craft cheese making. The long and the short of it is that the second step to learning to make cheese, after making yogurt, is making Labneh. Labneh is the real name of my yogurt cheese.

So, I've already covered the first two bases and next time I get some milk from Kathy I'm going to try Neufchâtel.
Yep, the cream cheese of choice for the famous Elkins cheesecake.

Oh, does anyone know where the quote I titled this post comes from? You have to get the book right.

No comments:

Post a Comment