I started this blog to record my experiments/adventures in the land of urban agriculture. It is growing into a garden consutation business. I will be happy to advise, plan, install and maintain (or any combination thereof) a garden for you. Contact me for more information at lknzfarm@gmail.com or 678-427-3101, or message me at Elkins Farm and Garden on FB.

Thursday, July 7, 2016

Junior Beekeepers Unite

We put some pie pans filled with rocks out for watering the bees. This idea came thanks to a post Becky shared. It talked about bees drowning because they don't have anywhere to land and rest while imbibing. Pearce and I have experienced this, finding at least 10 dead bees in the wading pool.

Of course the munchkins had to get there pics taken with the "bee troughs". 

I never thought about bees needing water, but they do. Kristi keeping bees is turning out to be a real education. The only hard thing is desensitizing the kids to the bees. They are so funny. They'll stand next to one of the hives for 5 minutes then run when you tell them they're near a hive.

No comments:

Post a Comment